The Coles 4038 is another great ribbon microphone. Recommended Applications: Cymbals, Percussion, Acoustic Guitar. Try it out on other acoustic sources such as upright bass, acoustic guitar, or as room mics. Recommended Applications: Piano, Strings, Acoustic Guitar, Upright Bass (neck). Any other differences you hear between the SM57 and SM58 are likely to be subjective (psycho-acoustic) or due to slight manufacturing differences due to part tolerance. As many folks know, the SM7B is most famously known for recording Michael Jackson’s legendary Thriller album. Recommended Applications: Upright Bass, Bass Drum, Vocals. This is another small diaphragm condenser that most studios have. The Neumann 140 is a great small diaphragm condenser microphone. The Shure SM57 is a good, cheap mic that all studios will have. The classic adjective for this mic is "smooth". The newer version of this microphone is the 451B, which AKG claims to be acoustically identical to the 451E, but I just don’t hear it. So, if you want a brighter sound, turn this baby around. But among the hundreds of models to choose from…. 99% of the time that microphone is a Shure SM58. In fact, you can still find 20+ year old versions of this mic fetching surprisingly high prices on eBay. Long hailed as the “World’s Most Versatile Mic“…. I tend to think of this microphone and the Neumann KM84 as brothers. Check out photos of your favorite singers on-stage, and 90% of the time, they’re holding an SM58. Next up is a mic just as famous for vocals, though not necessarily for singing…. Every time you watch nearly any famous singer on stage they have a greyish microphone in their hand with a silver colored ball at the end. Try it on upright bass for woody, clear sound or on a bass drum. Because when it comes to SOUND, it’s damn near flawless. Aside from having a decent singer in the first place, capturing quality vocals relies on the right microphone. And it works just as well in the studio. Recommended Applications: Strings, Acoustic Guitar, Piano, Upright Bass (neck). Yet at the same time, also rejecting unwanted noises. Drop it, whack it with a drumstick, abuse it however you like. For many studios and engineers the U87 is the default microphone for voice over and vocals because it delivers a bright, punchy, and modern sound. And there are different mics for stage and studio applications, too. Its switchable polar patterns (cardiod, figure of eight, and omni) increase the mic’s versatility. There’s lots of conflicting theories out there about the differences (or lack thereof) between these mics. It will sound great on string instruments (violin, viola, and cello) and can be used for near or distant miking. Like the 451, many studios have a newer version, in this case the KM184. Yes, but live and studio are not the same. And if it’s good enough for MJ, it’s good enough for the rest of us. Recommended Applications: Vocals, Voice Over, Acoustic Guitar, Upright Bass, Room mics. Plus: prepare for some eye-candy! Ask any audio professional… “ If you could only have ONE dynamic mic, which would you choose? That crown belongs to this next mic…, The Shure SM7B is designed for one thing…. But vocals are not all this microphone can do. The first mic up is… 1. Looking for something to help kick start your next project? Design templates, stock videos, photos & audio, and much more. I could keep going, but I think you get the idea. A long-time favorite of mine on acoustic guitar and piano, it sounds equally sweet on vocals. It is a figure of eight polar pattern, where the rear lobe is actually brighter than the front lobe. This microphone is THE modern vocal mic. While condenser microphones might some how seem sexier to the average newbie…. 10 Best Affordable Microphones for the Home Studio. This microphone is close the AKG451E, but it's darker. The RE20 has a cardiod polar pattern and has excellent rejection. Recording great audio is one thing, but often you'll also need extra resources to complete your project. So if you’re looking for a new dynamic mic to add to your locker, I highly recommend you check this one out. Why? The only difference between the these two models is the grill design. Recommended Applications: Snare, Electric Guitar. And chances are good, the Sennheiser MD421 II would rank as the #1 choice. Most studios will have this combination of Schoeps body and capsule. And in todays post, I give you several examples in my top 7 list of Awesome Vocal Mics under $700. The Shure SM-58 is a world-renowned dynamic microphone, and one of Shure’s all-time best-sellers. This all-discrete (utilizing separate op-amps, not ICs), Jensen transformer-equipped Daking preamp also includes a 4-band EQ and derives its lineage from one of my favorite consoles of all time. According to a Q&A page on the Shure Website: The SM58 and the SM57 share the same mic element, the Unidyne III. This makes it an ideal choice when you don’t have the luxury of iso-booths or good baffles. For many studios and engineers the U87 is the default microphone for voice over and vocals because it delivers a bright, punchy, and modern sound. The R121 is also designed to take high SPL levels so don’t be afraid to put this thing in front of a guitar amp. Despite the highest praises by industry professionals, this mic is is relatively unknown, and often overlooked by your average dude. Sennheiser MD421 II. Trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. The Royer R121 is a warm ribbon mic that sounds great on a lot of instruments. And somehow, the RE20 maintains a consistent frequency response at any angle…. Because of all the mics on this list, it’s the most versatile one by far. Also, try it on piano for a big, clear sound. It has been used in live performances by countless singers, actors, and show hosts. Check out his website for more information. The 414's are great on toms, but watch out. This microphone has been released and re-released over the years because it is such a great workhorse. Why? Recommended Applications: Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Drum Overheads, Room mics. And a good list wouldn’t be complete without at least one odd ball, would it? This microphone is THE modern vocal mic. So instead, here’s a more authoritative answer…. The SM57 grill design allows more proximity effect because the mic diaphragm can be placed closer to the sound source. In the recording studio, it just might be one of the most essential tools in your arsenal. But vocals are not all this microphone can do. In fact, other than its 5 position bass rolloff, there are no real features of this mic worth mentioning. Be sure to check out the condition and age of the 57 though. Put simply…it sounds great, even on people with little to no experience behind a microphone. It can be used on acoustic guitar, piano, cymbals, percussion, and drum overheads. ” And chances are good, the Sennheiser MD421 II would rank as the #1 choice. The 414 sounds good on almost everything, but in my opinion it sounds great on only a few things. The Electrovoice Re20 is the industry standard for recording voices. A good assortment of dynamic mics is the foundation of any mic collection. Don’t let your drummer whack them and dent the screens! While some vocals and voice-overs sound fantastic on a 414, keep in mind that every person’s voice is different.