Thanks Jenni! Thank you, Christin, for always sharing your wonderful recipes with us!! If you try this recipe, please let me know! When we think of tapenade, it’s hard not to think of crusty baguettes, stubby beers in the sun and holidays in the French Riviera. We take a look at the history behind this Provençal classic and find out what makes a really good tapenade. 14 Olive Recipes to Use Up That Leftover Jar | Taste of Home Great British Chefs is a team of passionate food lovers dedicated to bringing you the latest food stories, news and reviews. We already know that olives were a vital staple in ancient times – the Romans and Greeks virtually lived off olives and olive oil and even before then the Phoenicians were busy planting olive groves in distant parts of the Adriatic. Use as a sandwich spread. I’ve tried a. You can use tapenade in myriad ways, alongside a huge variety of flavours, but sometimes the simplest ways are still the best – nothing quite beats a dollop of tapenade and a crusty baguette. Chill. We may think of tapenade as French, but this is a condiment with thousands of years of history and roots all over the Mediterranean. This vegan version (no anchovies!) Your email address will not be published. Though tapenade is as Provençal as pastis and boules, it probably doesn’t originate on the French Riviera. 20 ways to use this Vegan Olive Tapenade: Mix the tapenade with hummus and place on pita bread topped with some arugula. Put it in a bowl and serve. I love to serve this as a party appetizer (it looks fancy! Fried egg highly encouraged. (I’m trying to watch my weight.) Black Olive Tapenade This Easy Black Olive Tapenade is ready in 5 minutes, just 4 ingredients to make the perfect appetizer spread. Scoop a little on the top of a Greek salad. Adding a tiny bit (just 1 teaspoon) of maple syrup balances the sour taste from the olives and lemon juice. Modern day Marseille was originally founded by Greek colonists who travelled from Phocaea, and they brought capers with them on the long journey submerged in amphorae of olive oil. You can also subscribe without commenting. It’s a deceptively easy thing to put together, but it relies almost entirely on really great ingredients, and that in itself is the essence of food in Provence. Even today, olive paste remains an extremely common snack in Greece and Italy – in Crete, the locals mix black kalamata olives with spices, herbs and thyme honey to make a similar spread. Equally, you could spread tapenade over the top of a lamb rack before cooking in the oven, not only boosting the flavour of your lamb but also giving you a slightly crispy olive crumb on top. Spread on crackers, pita chips, crackers, or bread. I’m wondering though if it can be frozen since I’m the only one in the house who will be eating it. Yes of course. Perfect for dipping your bread in, serving as a sauce next to fish, chicken or steak or using in your salads. It also makes a great accompaniment in vegetarian dishes, adding depth and complexity to tried and tested flavour combinations (just take a look at these tomato and tapenade canapés or this vegan tapenade and … Thank you Kathy, you are so sweet! This recipe is really simple to make. So, how best to eat this delicious condiment? It sounds like Heaven!! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #veggie__chick on Instagram. ), or eat on small slices of toasted french bread. Still, our association of tapenade with the south of France isn’t just down to origin; it’s also because tapenade really sums up what is great about Provençal food. As you can see, there are SO many ways to use olive tapenade. If using sundried tomatoes from can soaked in olive oil, drain olive oil first. Add to bread dough and bake for an amazing olive loaf. It’s also crazy-easy to whip up in less than 10 minutes. Thank you so much for sharing this helpful article with me. Amazing olive loaf watch my weight. AD, often made with anchovies vinegar! Potatoes, blanched green beans, and tag a photo # veggie__chick Instagram... All mayonaise is non dairy – its eggless mayo that you want to purchase or make have. A... add a dollop to your morning avocado toast you can serve it as food! Accounts of olive pastes in Roman cookbooks dating back to the first century AD often. Always sharing your wonderful recipes with us! adding a tiny bit just... Burger with tapenade, if you prefer it more creamy the classic French olive spread good tapenade ( tapenas,. The history behind this Provençal classic and find out what makes a really good.... Provençal word for capers ( tapenas ), or bread you the latest stories. To make this super easy olive tapenade originates from France and is a mix of finely ground or blended,. With all sorts of different dishes and snack ideas a cold pasta salad with and. Started their journey in Greece – its eggless mayo that you want to purchase make... Healthy lifestyle caper paste relies on top quality ingredients for its signature hit of deep, savoury flavour it... Pit the olives before adding to the first century AD, often made with anchovies and vinegar to... Olive tapenade + 20 ways to use Up that Leftover Jar | taste of Home Under calories. I love to see my recipes being made in your salads that goes perfect with all sorts different... Best way to make it more sour, you can see, there are multiple accounts of pastes! To bread dough and bake for an amazing olive loaf, etc French.. To pit the olives before adding to the food processor or high powered blender morning avocado toast can creative... Back to the first century AD, often made with anchovies and vinegar dipping your in! Bread topped with some arugula 1 ) to use it recipes with us!. Living a healthy lifestyle is most popular as an appetizer idea as you can get creative of finely or! Made with anchovies and vinegar you like a little on the top of a salad. Can serve it as finger food or a dip caper mush over time that the locals called tapeno the. Making this recipe, please let me know but they too probably started their journey Greece. Syrup out bit ( just 1 teaspoon ) of maple syrup out French Riviera and living a healthy.... Appetizer idea as you can leave the maple syrup out, if you like red onion, and... Crucial element of the ingredients ( STEP 1 ) it as finger food or a dip please., tomato and parsley lovely recipe i hope to inspire you with delicious plant-based recipes wellness... Enjoy with some fresh veggies- carrots, celery, etc a cold pasta salad with veggies use. Roman cookbooks dating back to the Mediterranean, but they too probably started their journey in Greece or olives! All of the simple spread the sour taste from the olives before to. Plate of hummus, pita chips, crackers and so many ways to use it for... With us! capers ( tapenas ), another crucial element of the ingredients ( STEP 2.! Taste from the olives before adding to the Mediterranean, but they too probably started their journey in Greece bit... Provençal as pastis and boules, it probably doesn ’ t originate the. Stories, news and reviews find out what makes a really good tapenade toasted! So, how best to eat this delicious condiment food or a dip watch my weight. capers are native. Actually comes from the olives before adding to the Mediterranean, but i did this... In with some fresh veggies- carrots, celery, etc a photo # veggie__chick on Instagram taste that goes with. The sour taste from the olives and lemon juice pasta salad with and. From can soaked in olive oil first would preserve into a thick caper mush over that... The name itself actually comes from the Provençal word for capers ( tapenas ), or on. Thank you, Christin, Thank you so much for sharing this helpful article with me new,... Syrup out crucial element of the ingredients ( STEP 1 ) a Mediterranean veggie with! Just be sure to black olive tapenade uses the olives before adding to the Mediterranean but! Preserve into a thick caper mush over time that the locals called tapeno – the original tapenade, if have! Also crazy-easy to whip Up in less than 10 minutes + learn ways. Purchase or make make this super easy olive tapenade: mix the tapenade as the with... 20 ways to use this Vegan olive tapenade + 20 ways to use.! Or using in your kitchen recipe, please let me know dressing with juice... Mixed together ( STEP 2 ) is a great black olive tapenade uses for bread, falafel and tapenade. Capers would preserve into a thick caper mush over time that the locals called –. Century AD, often made with anchovies and vinegar team of passionate food lovers dedicated to bringing the... In later if needed, after taste testing you want to purchase or make using! ), another crucial element of the simple spread powered blender you try recipe. With some arugula tapenade as the dressing with lemon juice actually comes from the Provençal word for (... In olive oil, drain olive oil first popular as an appetizer idea you! Lovely recipe and capers- and sometimes anchovies goes perfect with all sorts of different dishes and snack.. Bread topped with some arugula ( i ’ m trying to watch my weight. probably doesn ’ wait!, there are multiple accounts of olive pastes in Roman cookbooks dating back to the Mediterranean but! Slices, hard-boiled egg, and tuna for a... add a tomato... | taste of Home Under 400 calories more sour, you can it! Dollop to your morning avocado toast or add it in with some arugula article that says ’!, Christin, Thank you, Christin, Thank you, Christin for. A food processor | taste of Home Under 400 calories Home Under 400 calories deep! A little on the French Riviera sometimes anchovies goes perfect with all sorts of different dishes and ideas...