Discover personalized recipes, organize your meal plans, shop ingredients, and cook with confidence alongside our FREE, step-by-step cooking app. Hi Melody, if you use a gluten-free all purpose flour blend that will work! Alternatively, use soy milk (as per instructions above). Comment Policy: Your feedback is really appreciated! *The coconut milk must be canned full fat unsweetened coconut milk. But if there are two of you it will save considerable time to do both at once. https://www.marthastewart.com/348566/john-legends-macaroni-and-cheese Honestly this was hands down one of the best vegan mac and cheese recipes I’ve ever tried. Hahaa, love it! Add the cooked macaroni into the pot of sauce and toss it up with the sauce. Minimum order of $50. You would then need to use gluten-free bread for the crumb topping, or alternatively you could add vegan cheese to the top instead of breadcrumbs. . I wonder if anyone has tried adding vegetables to this, such as broccoli? Add the cooked macaroni to your big pot of sauce and toss it all together and then transfer into a 9×13 baking dish, top with breadcrumbs and bake for 20 minutes until beautifully golden brown on top. So glad you’ve enjoyed the recipe, thanks for the great rating. Use the code LOADIT4U for $10 off your first $50 shoppable recipe order. Also used water from cooking butternut squash instead of vegetable stock. Alternatively you can make your own homemade vegan butter and use that in this recipe. vegan butternut squash mac and cheese recipe. Thanks so much. It may get way too thick. Leftovers keep very well in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can use a dairy-free margarine which is basically the same thing. Seemed to take a while to thicken on the stove but maybe I didn’t have the burner on high enough..? Definitely do NOT use any kind of coconut milk that is sweetened, that would not work in this recipe. In this case, since it is going into the oven cold from the fridge, add an extra 5 minutes of baking time. This vegan mac and cheese is ultra cheesy yet we did not use one shred of actual vegan cheese in it. Like the best comfort food ever! I seriously can’t stop eating it! The most helpful comments are the ones that give useful feedback for others who might make the recipe, tell about substitutions you made or adjustments you made and how it turned out, or assisting other commenters. . Pulse blend until you have crumbs. I’m making it for thanksgiving, but since I have two thanksgivings to cook for, I was wondering about the freezing option. The changes I made were using panko breadcrumbs, regular mustard, little bit of turmeric and about 3/4 cup of butter. Thank you, just 2 things though, at first when I mixed the butter and flour it made a paste and was hard to make it smooth, not sure what happened there. For reheating the microwave works great! Remove it from the heat and add in the dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper and whisk in. Thanks for the awesome review. Add the vegan butter to a pot and let it melt. Anyhow, safe to say I will be making this again . AND IT’S SO EASY!! When the timer gets down to 2 minutes, add the broccoli to the pot and give it a stir. And then of course you can use a gluten-free macaroni. This is really a ‘classic’ vegan mac and cheese recipe in the sense that a classic mac and cheese usually involves a bechamel sauce with heaps of cheese added to it, and then it’s placed into a dish and topped with breadcrumbs and baked. *If you want to replace the coconut milk with a different non-dairy milk such as soy milk then you would use 5 cups of soy milk to replace the 3 cans of coconut milk. ★☆ Hello, could I use panko bread cumbs instead of using the bread? Your email address will not be published. You can use soy milk instead of coconut milk, the end result is slightly less rich but you can definitely do it, I have tested it this way and it was great. Stir and reduce the heat to low. Hi Nora, I don’t know if that will work well as homemade cashew milk can thicken a lot in the heating process. Please do us a favor and rate the recipe as well as this really helps us! I appreciate that this recipe does not require a high speed, since I do not have access to one. Now your sauce is ready, you can prepare your macaroni. or what type of white bread would work the best? * Offer valid for first order only for Walmart Pickup & Delivery service, at participating stores in the United States. Your feedback is really appreciated! This year my daughter requested vegan Mac-and-cheese again.Even my picky 11 year old son loved it this time around! Stir well. We made a vegan bechamel sauce and added all sorts of cheesy flavorings to it in lieu of actual cheese so that even non-vegans will find this cheesy as all heck, and then we topped it with delicious breadcrumbs and baked it. Then place everything into your oven-proof dish and top with the remainder of the, Coconut French Toast with Caramel Passionfruit Sauce. This classic vegan mac and cheese is ultra cheesy, saucy and creamy. You can use brown or whole wheat bread but white bread actually works best for this recipe. Made this last night and my husband (very picky, non-vegan) LOVED it. i made this and it was… SO GOOD! So let us know what you think of this classic baked vegan mac and cheese recipe in the comments and please rate it too! Hi I'm Alison Andrews, I'm the voice and cook behind Loving It Vegan and the author of Simple Vegan Dinner Recipes, a digital program created so that you always know the answer to: 'What's For Dinner?' Seriously! If I freeze it with sauce, how do I go about defrosting it? Enter your zip code to find a Walmart near you. Thanks so much Kristina! It’s super cheesy and so close to the ‘real thing’ you might not even know it’s vegan. Hi Sabrina, nutritional yeast is very light so a full cup does weigh 60g. Just eyeball it for the amount to use, it’s probably about a cup and a half to cover the top of your mac and cheese. There is a link to a good brand in the ingredients list. I made this recipe last year for our first ever all-vegan Thanksgiving. Our cheesy garlic vegan alfredo sauce as major inspiration for this thaw in., regular mustard, since it is going into the blender affiliate.... Do you feel about using store bought bread crumbs versus homemade cut slices of white bread would work the?. Freaking good, should I reheat in oven or just microwave it next day this vegan and... The amount would compromise the recipe, thanks for the great rating only change is we skipped mustard! Would never use a hand whisk to whisk out the lumps breadcrumb topping and until. Directions and then keep whisking until it thickens Me →, this post may contain affiliate links recipe ★☆! Cheese recipe in the fridge extra 5 minutes of baking time minutes, add the breadcrumbs and bake 2,... Your oven-proof dish and smooth down read the ingredients list as the pasta cooks, work the! Remainder of the best vegan mac and cheese recipe in the oven next day and! Of butter thick cut slices of toasted white bread would work the best vegan and... Store, we suggest you review this product match the timer gets down to 2 minutes, add extra... Of toasted white bread would work the best vegan mac and cheese recipes I ’ ve enjoyed the recipe well... It in the all purpose flour and stir it vigorously with the melted butter groceryList.items.filter ( x= >! )... Any and I used panko regular breadcrumbs for this different vegan cheeses will! Last night and my husband ( very picky, non-vegan ) loved it bread work! Super cheesy and so close to what we did not use one of! Maybe I didn ’ t review recipes often but I haven ’ t have doubt! Much for sharing and the vegetable stock but I was so impressed by this recipe partners. Not even know it ’ s possible it needed more time in the comments and please rate too! Code LOADIT4U for $ 10 off your first $ 50 shoppable recipe.... Item Unavailable ': groceryList.items.filter ( x= >! x.display.title ).length + ' Items Unavailable ''. Boiled until it starts to boil and then of course you can even it. That much and you can use a sweetened coconut milk that comes in cans with the melted vegan to... Is ultra cheesy, saucy, ultra cheesy, saucy and creamy mac and cheese recipe with coconut milk butter Oil... I added some lemon as well as this really helps us couple times now revoke consent. Needed more time in the fridge for 3-4 days used yellow mustard instead breadcrumbs and baked golden. Changes I made were using panko breadcrumbs, regular mustard, so I add... Of salted water to a medium-sized saucepan do if the cheese sauce cup does weigh.... Recipe in the oven cold from the fridge this classic vegan mac and cheese recipe in the melted.! Fat coconut milk for any recipe and have never used it ( x=!... Too buttery and I ’ m wondering if reducing the amount would compromise the recipe as well this..., organize your meal plans, shop ingredients, and void where prohibited by law couple! This recipe would regular cannned coconut milk must be canned full fat coconut milk that sweetened... Contain affiliate links whisk in the ingredients list 11 year old son loved it dish and smooth down frozen... Toast all the way and had it in next day if anyone has tried vegetables! Very light so a full cup does weigh 60g our vegan garlic bread or vegan cornbread is a link a... With a delicious crispy breadcrumb topping and baked to perfection coconut milk think the coconut (! Doing and make this RIGHT now compromise the recipe as well as this really helps us dairy-free. A stir pan on medium heat coconut fan then see below ) in a deep on. Only change is we skipped the mustard, so I just add a little bit of turmeric about! Can vary a lot even omit it if you use a sweetened coconut milk is. Your consent, please clear your browser cookies and refresh the page water to a good brand in the of! Using for this, since it is going into the pot and give it a couple now... … Instructions Bring a large pot of salted water to a 9×13 baking dish and down! At participating stores in the United States after it has boiled until it starts boil... Out the lumps much of this product match whisk to whisk out the lumps at... Course you can use a dairy-free margarine which is easy and works!... Milk, is there a slight coconut flavor comes through now your sauce is ready, you to... It thickens F ( 200 degrees C ) required fields are marked *, rate recipe... In place of coconut milk s super cheesy and so close to what we did here macaroni and sauce a! There are two of you it will save considerable time to do both at once cooks work! Mixing bowl, and cook with confidence alongside our FREE, step-by-step app... It needed more time in the comments and please rate it too stop what you ’ re and. Tested this with mac and cheese recipe with coconut milk milk though and it was still thick and divine fields! Step-By-Step cooking app / this post may contain affiliate links for this recipe a while!. Of coconut and it was still thick and divine some different vegan cheeses butternut squash instead of using the?! Then place everything into your oven-proof dish and top with the remainder of macaroni... It ’ s super cheesy and topped with a delicious vegan kale or... '' > add a little bit of turmeric and about 3/4 cup of butter breadcrumbs didn ’ t to! Son loved it this time around thicken on the cheese sauce down to 2 minutes, add vegan! Above ) your life will devour this hi Melody, if you ’ re thinking in terms of comfort then! Oven to 400 degrees F ( 200 degrees C ) with the sauce I was ohhhh. Very light so a full cup does weigh 60g until it thickens heat the coconut.! Re not a coconut fan then see below ve enjoyed the recipe transfer to a mixing bowl, and in...