Even in the Psalm from which these words are taken the promise to the meek is not held forth as an arbitrary reward, but as having a kind of natural fulfilment. Please see our Privacy Policy for cookie usage details. "Deliver me," says the Psalmist, in language which, beyond all doubt, stretches beyond the present scene, "from men of the world, which have their portion in this life: as for me, I shall behold Thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with Thy likeness" ( Psalms 17:13-15 ). What follows is a beautiful extension of this precept. He had before said, "for righteousness' sake." 6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled. "There is yet one man (said wicked Ahab to good Jehoshaphat) by whom we may inquire of the Lord: but I hate him; for he never prophesied good unto me, but always evil" ( John 3:20 , 7:7 , 15:19 , 2 Chronicles 18:7 ). But how, it may be asked, could such beautiful features of character provoke persecution? This heart purity begins in a "heart sprinkled from an evil conscience," or a "conscience purged from dead works" ( Hebrews 10:22 , 9:14 ; and see Acts 15:9 ); and this also is taught in the Old Testament ( Psalms 32:1 Psalms 32:2 ; compare Romans 4:5-8 Isaiah 6:5-8 ). But there is only one man who has lived like this: Jesus Christ. Against all this our Lord now speaks decisively; teaching His audience that every oath carries an appeal to God, whether named or not. Indeed, how could any one who found in the Old Testament "the poor in spirit," and "the mourners in Zion," doubt that he would also find those same characters also craving that righteousness which they feel and mourn their want of? The Church of Rome says, No; but the Greek and Protestant Churches allow it. Comp. Give to him that asketh thee--The sense of unreasonable asking is here implied (compare Luke 6:30 ). The expressions, "whosoever looketh," and "looketh upon a woman," seem clearly to extend the range of this commandment to all forms of impurity, and the counsels which follow--as they most certainly were intended for all, whether married or unmarried--seem to confirm this. Nor are Christians anywhere else so called. Evidently, it is swearing in common intercourse and on frivolous occasions that is here meant. But blessed are they who, in spite of this, dare to be righteous. 22. : according to His mercy He saved us," &c. ( Titus 3:1-7 ). and put it under a bushel--a dry measure. The question is not, If a man lose his grace, how shall that grace be restored to him? As Paul put it in Romans 3:21-22: But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. Nor does our Lord scruple to speak of them as others did, which we may be sure He never would have done if it had been calumnious. While others "walk in a vain show"--"in a shadow," "an image"--in an unreal world, taking a false view of themselves and all around them--the poor in spirit are rich in the knowledge of their real case. Click to enable/disable essential site cookies. Hardly anything was regarded as an oath if only the name of God were not in it; just as among ourselves, as TRENCH well remarks, a certain lingering reverence for the name of God leads to cutting off portions of His name, or uttering sounds nearly resembling it, or substituting the name of some heathen deity, in profane exclamations or asseverations. Matthew 5:2-12 New King James Version (NKJV) 2 Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying: 3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. and it giveth light--shineth "unto all that are in the house.". 6:25; (Matt. The Apostle Paul wrote much the same thing: Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience, and from sincere faith. All things, in short, are theirs--in the possession of that favor which is life, and of those rights which belong to them as the children of God--whether the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are theirs ( 1 Corinthians 3:21 1 Corinthians 3:22 ); and at length, overcoming, they "inherit all things" ( Revelation 21:7 ).