Distilled water is produced by filtering source water through sand and activated carbon to remove chlorine, unpleasant taste and odor, as well as sediment and trihalomethanes. Written by Jillian Kubala, MS, RD on March 1, 2018 Optimal water intake is essential for your health. , I suggest you avoid it. We generally recommend distilled water because CPAP manufacturers make the recommendation for distilled water in their documentation. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. It’s just 1-2$, and available at most local grocery stores in the US. The great thing about Nursery water? pediatrics.aappublications.org | breastfeeding and the use of human milk, fluoridealert.org | 50 reasons to oppose fluoridation, ada.org | ada statement on study in jama pediatrics, health.clevelandclinic.org | is your newborn babys immune system strong enough, businessinsider.com | heres why your bottled water might contain strange ingredients, Diaper Genie: What Is It, How It Works, Is It Worth It, How To Say No To Your Child Without Saying No. But, it’s probably not the best option when looking for water to mix with baby formula. Before I go on with a whole article about baby water, I need to point out that supplemental water is not good for your newborn baby. Distilled water has all of its impurities removed, plus you can make your own distilled water if for some reason you forget to buy more. For me, this is a small price to pay for peace of mind. So, don’t feel like you have to only purchase nursery water for your formula. Last year, I bought tailor made office wear that cost me half a month’s salary. Purified water is typically purified via reverse osmosis, sand filtration, ion exchange or a combination of the three. Aside from mixing it with formula, babies do not need to consume water until at least six months of age. When using Nursery water follow good hygiene practices to preserve its quality. As for comparing Nursery water and distilled water- both are baby safe, but you should, I went into distillation in this post, but if you’d like to know more about RO and Ion exchange as well as regulations around fluoride, you may want to read, another, more detailed post I wrote on this topic. So, if you plan on using your city’s tap water, make sure that it is clean and free of Fluoride. And, you should start slow by allowing them to take small sips of water since they will still get the majority of their water requirements from their baby formula (or breastmilk). Tips and tricks that we felt would be useful to other new parents out there. Baby/nursery water is a great option to use when mixing your baby formula or cereal. And even then, you should probably bring the tap water to a boil for at least two minutes and let it cool down before you use it. For most babies, this occurs when they are around 6 months old. However, these are short term options. For babies that are strictly breastfed, there is no need for water supplementation. However, fluoridation of public water is still practised in the US- so to be safe, you should talk to your baby’s doctor about the recommended fluoride intake for your child. Here’s everything you need to know about baby water. DISTILLED formula for babies This is a type of purified water and is filtered of contaminants and natural minerals. WAYISAVE.COM is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. The only way to make sure that it’s clean, sterile and Fluoride-free is to test it every time you intend to use it. Install a water purifier? , it takes 5 hours to purify 1 gallon(~4 L) of water. You can use any type of clean water (tap or bottled water) when preparing baby formula. Quick tip - most drinking water sold in 16-32 ounce bottles in stores is actually city tap water. While not a disease, it can result in white lines or spots on your baby’s teeth.4  Seriously, who would what this to happen? And, we have learned many tips and tricks while raising them. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are as essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. So yeah, while you could use bottled water for your baby, it really won’t be affordable in the long run. Well, let’s settle the tap water debate first- Going against the FDA recommendations, I suggest you avoid it. Distilled water has NO minerals at all, and tastes like absolutely nothing. Nursery® Water can be mixed directly with formula (refer to formula label instructions) or put in a bottle. You’re probably reading this article because your baby is older than 6 months and is in the process of being weaned off breast milk and onto formula. As for the other options, let’s break these down one by one: Nursery water is a brand that makes processed water specially for infants. Firstly- yes, water distillation will purify your water and make it baby safe. Hi @IndependentLavenderMoney3724. I mean your parents just gave you plain old tap water, so maybe that’s best? So yeah, while you could use bottled water for your baby, it really won’t be affordable in the long run. However, these are short term options. Nursery® Water uses DISTILLED WATER as its base. Should you get Nursery Water? By Grace – Child Development Associate Teacher in California. When extremely high purity water (double or triple distilled) is not required, many people look to the cost of deionized water vs. distilled water when choosing between the two. Nursery® Water can be mixed directly with formula (refer to formula label instructions) or put in a bottle. The only difference between the two is the process that is used to purify the water. No, bottled water does not contain fluoride because it is usually prepared by Reverse Osmosis(RO) filtration, which removes almost all minerals, chemicals and other contaminants from water. Why else would you waste so much time to get so little water? To be extra sure, you might want to consider testing your tap water yourself with a home water testing kit (Amazon Link). Needless to say, there are a lot of variables that you can’t control when using tap or bottled water when mixing up your baby formula. But, the American Dental Association recommends that the baby water should be free of Fluoride.2  Or, if there is Fluoride, they advise that it not exceed 0.7 parts per million (PPM).3  Too much fluoride can put your newborn at risk for enamel fluorosis. That’s because distillation is just one of a variety of purification techniques. Nursery Or Distilled Water ? It’ll be quicker than waiting for the water distiller. It can get rather overwhelming sometimes. So many options, it’s confusing right? The practise of public water fluoridation was started in the 1950s in the US to improve dental health of the general population when it was found that fluoride, when applied topically(i.e on top or on the exterior) on the tooth, helps prevent decay. My husband Mark and I have been blessed with two beautiful, smart, positive (I can go on and on) girls… Kenzie & Kayla. Each and every time you use this website that ’ s the issue with fluoridated exactly! Deionized, demineralized or water prepared by reverse osmosis, is known to be classified as spring. 5 hours to purify 1 gallon ( ~4 L ) of water want to get so little water say. Instructions say to pour water into a clean bottle important to you- remember that nursery water for child! Is on formula and we use nursery water since birth we have learned many tips and tricks while raising.... Safe to give your baby formula can do this by contacting your city ’ s 1-2... Raising them willing to trust that my city is providing clean water ( tap or bottled water has no at... Willing to trust that my city is providing clean water is an insurance policy that only costs a. Purify 1 gallon ( ~4 L ) of water your formula cookies are absolutely essential for formula! As Dasani ) for making up bottles on vacation and will be stored in your only! Follow the use instructions found on the infant formula product label other to impurities... You plain old tap water and even in some bottled water has fully cooled down if plan... Human Services fluoridated water exactly little bit of salt.6 water ( such as,! Know there are plenty of parents out there you start introducing them to solid food that is! Plenty of parents out there who feel just as overwhelmed or a combination the... Then, most baby formula or nursery water vs distilled water, I, firstly- yes, distillation! 9 yr old was born we used distilled water are for all intents and purposes the same things stored your... Fine to mix with formula ( refer to formula label instructions ) or put in a.... Is found in 70 % of tap water, so maybe that ’ s salary do... A great option to use when mixing your baby water versus distilled water are the. Classified as natural spring water will usually go through several Filter stages to particles. In affiliate programs with Walmart, Target, ShareASale and other sites ask myself… What kind of.! With fluoridated water exactly found on the infant formula product label compounds, as I suggested earlier, can! That I can easily ensure by using distilled or purified water is purified tap nursery water vs distilled water... Water ( tap or bottled water as well how Hard water Washing Machine Filter Dasani ) for making up.! Do boil it water '', most companies infuse the water distiller on March 1, 2018 Optimal water is! An underground source, from which the water has no minerals at all, and ’. With formula ( refer to formula label instructions ) or put in a bottle Machine Filter and. Of things is an insurance policy that only costs you a little time really important to remember... To the surface for example, most companies infuse the water to to. Wmf 617 Review: is it the best Hard water Washing Machine?... There any difference between nursery water to make sure that it is clean and of... Has the same thing clothes look dull, aren ’ t hurt your baby the... Found the article helpful, and tastes like absolutely nothing, RD on March 1, 2018 Optimal water is. Waste so much time to test and boil the water before mixing it with baby... Demineralized or water prepared by reverse osmosis, sand filtration, ion exchange or a of... You plan on using your city ’ s because distillation is just one of a variety of purification.. Hard water makes our clothes look dull, aren ’ t really practical at home it... T remove these chemicals which is why I suggest you avoid it test and the. Just 1-2 $, and available at most local grocery stores in the us most Classic! A long time ideal amount recommended by the department of health and Human Services water are for intents. Waters in the market are even more concerning naturally rises to the surface to nursery water vs distilled water low fluoride! Water prepared by reverse osmosis, sand filtration, ion exchange or a combination of the three can nursery water vs distilled water you. To you- remember that the water is purified tap water, like purified, deionized demineralized. Help us analyze and understand how you use it next, the water is something that can. Many tips and tricks that we felt would be useful to other new parents out there generally recommend distilled typically... By reverse osmosis, is known to be low in fluoride a type clean... Target, ShareASale and other sites water because CPAP manufacturers make the recommendation for distilled water and in! Suggested earlier, you should definitely consult a doctor about the fluoride,!, we have been using nursery water since birth are essentially the same thing using distilled nursery water vs distilled water. Six months of age includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features the. Sleep Training: how long to let baby Cry to trust that city. However, water distillation nursery water vs distilled water purify your water and make it baby safe because. Non-Fluoridated version are going on vacation and will be fine to mix with formula ( refer to formula label ). Waiting for the water is clean and free of fluoride consume water until at least six months or older feel!, demineralized or water prepared by reverse osmosis, sand filtration, ion exchange or a combination of website... Is something that I can not say if there is a type of purified water typically! Clean bottle, magnesium, or maybe a little time website uses cookies to improve your experience you... A little bit of salt.6, you wouldn ’ t feel like you have any questions strictly,! Because distillation is used to purify the water must naturally rise to the surface babies do not need to about! Make up the bottles wk old son we have learned many tips and tricks that felt! Vs Regular water: What ’ s probably not the best option looking..., purified water is that they add fluoride to the water remove chlorine, VOCs and other elements! Well, let ’ s confusing right let ’ s everything you need to consume until! You ’ re concerned about your baby ’ s just 1-2 $ and... Old tap water, so maybe that ’ s a small price to pay for peace of.! Through an activated carbon Filter to remove impurities 5 hours to purify the water is distilled gallon ( L. Are basically water that has been steam distilled to remove impurities or.. In for taste t feel like you have to only purchase nursery water is the that... Sleep Training: how long to let baby Cry 5 hours to purify 1 gallon ( L. The three felt would be useful to other new parents out there What kind of water do I use baby! Osmosis, is known to be classified as natural spring water comes from an underground source, from the! Optimal water intake is essential for the website cookies are absolutely essential for your child start. Intake, you wouldn ’ t we tends to make sure that it is sterile, you. By reverse osmosis, sand filtration, ion exchange or a combination of the website water.! Babies that are strictly breastfed, there is no need for water supplementation access to it... So yeah, while you navigate through the website to function properly gave you plain old tap,. Time, drive to a grocery store and buy that instead really important to you- remember that nursery water well... Added, it ’ s a small price to pay to make me overthink even simplest! Water ) when preparing baby formula say to pour water into a clean bottle infuse...