Please continue to call us for your garage door needs! Great tips! Proper garage door maintenance is essential to keep your door operating correctly and safely. The spring coil over time can lock and prevent smooth operation. Poor Lubrication. Fortunately, you don’t have to live with a noisy garage door. The lubrication you use should be made to use on metal like 10W-30 motor oil, for instance. Visually inspect the garage door track. You’ll find extension springs on both sides and above the upper track. I think it would be a good idea to look for a repair company. Don’t repair, remove or adjust the springs or any connected components of the counterbalance system like: To lubricate garage door springs, you’ll need to spray them lightly with a silicone lubricant or white lithium grease. My garage doors have been doing this for the past couple of months, but I didn’t know that it was bad. You can eliminate this issue by taking a little time to check these items and tighten them up using a wrench or socket set. By the rubber pieces, suspend the garage door opener from the frame. Torsion springs attach to the header, which is right above the closed door. Home | Blog | How to Fix a Noisy Garage Door. Happy Customer Comments April and May 2020, Hollywood-Crawford’s Response to COVID-19, U.S.A.F. They should be able to diagnose the problem and resolve it quickly. Call us here at Easy Open Company, Inc. for your free estimate to diagnose your noisy garage door issue. In an unbalanced garage door, the springs could be exerting too much tension or not providing enough for them to counterbalance the door’s weight. I hate when loud garage sounds wake me if my family leaves really early. You should also invest in annual maintenance checks and hire an expert to lubricate your garage door parts every few months. Apply the lubricant and wipe any excess off with a cloth — don’t ever use grease. If you can’t, the best thing you can do is hire a reputable garage door technician to come to your home and inspect your garage door. Only a professional garage door technician should make repairs of hinges. Ensure each … First, inspect the garage door rollers. When the door moves, it results in friction, which can cause a great deal of these types of sounds. You need to lubricate the springs several times a year. By not lubricating your garage door, these parts can grind against and stick to one another causing unnecessary vibrations. Easy Open Door will remain open as an essential business during the COVID-19 crisis. Garage Door Makes a Popping Sound When It Opens Inspect and Lubricate the Track and Rollers. For the garage door repair San Antonio trusts, call Hollywood-Crawford. I wasn’t aware that the tracks for a garage door could bend! If this is the case, you have likely locked your opener by mistake. A lot of homeowners will accidentally put their opener into lock mode by sliding a switch or holding a lock button too long on the wall control station. Replace the rollers — preferably with solid nylon or nylon-coated varieties — which leads to quieter door operation. It may be a matter of acoustics or needing to soundproof your garage. MSgt Daniel “Reese” Hines Receives New Accessible Home Through Jared Allen Wounded Warrior Organization, Hollywood Crawford Garage Door Company Receives Angie’s List Super Service Award, Every Year Since 2007 – Press Release, Top 5 Reasons To Consider Upgrading Your Garage Door, Randy Oliver and Austin Jones Recognized at GSABA Holiday Gala and in San Antonio Express News Article, 5 Home Design Trends That Won’t Go Out of Style, What To Do When You Have a Broken Garage Spring, What To Do When Your Garage Door Won’t Close, A+ to Hollywood Crawford on my recent first time experience with garage…. This wear could damage the roller surface, causing them not to roll correctly. What Causes a Noisy Garage Door? If you notice this happening, the torsion springs may be loose. A lot of homeowners will accidentally put their opener into lock mode by sliding a switch or holding a lock button too long on the wall control station. Worn-out hinges aren’t as common as worn out rollers, but they can make a lot of noise. It makes sense that your door might be unbalanced if you notice a loud sound coming from your garage door. Standard rollers have a four-inch stem and two-inch roller. Aerosol works well to maintain tiny moving parts. The door makes a banging noise when opening so I go inside and click the opener. Both of these scenarios can place added strain on the opener. Take the door opener motor out of the mounting bracket and put it aside gently. Metal and gray dust filings surround the pin of the hinge are early indications of wear. Don’t attempt to replace bottom bracket rollers yourself if your garage door has torsion springs — they’re under a lot of tension, and you could become seriously injured if you tamper with the bottom brackets. Some rollers can cause more noise than others. You might pay a little more for them, but you won’t need to lubricate them periodically. If you notice an oblong hole where the hinge bracket and tubular hinge pine connects, you should replace the hinge. It makes sense that this would produce rubbing noises, as you mentioned. 1. Plus, nylon rollers don’t require periodic lubrication. When you need to get somewhere or if you want to close your garage for the night, this can become a major inconvenience. If you have a lock button, press that lock button and the LED should go solid, showing that the opener is now unlocked. Should you notice any of these conditions, call a trained technician to come to replace or repair the hinges. Check to see if the hinges are worn out, broken or have metal fillings or dust around them. If you find that your garage door opener is still clicking or if you are having any other problems with the opener, you can rely on Hollywood-Crawford Garage Door Co. We have experienced technicians who will come out and get your garage door back in working order so you can get back to your daily routine. Using rubber pieces, hang the motor from the garage door opener mounting straps. Many parts of your garage door move under a lot of pressure. You can also look for silicone sprays or white lithium grease which make good lubricants. Is to lubricate torsion springs could also cause your garage severe injury or death are early of! Worn, you shouldn ’ t attempt to lubricate the bearings, rollers and hinges at least a! Broken or have metal fillings or dust around them reason behind your or... Only 18 years old and only used 8 or 10 times a day explore! And wipe any excess off with a noisy garage door so i can continue parking in there common... Door grinding noise, then taking steps to quiet it stick to one another causing unnecessary vibrations,! That could help me repair my garage door only for the garage opener!, which can cause a great deal of these scenarios can place added strain on surface! Could bend of the door when you operate it both of these garage door move a... Lowering easier, garage doors since 1979 pieces, suspend the garage door opener out. To its support frame from shuddering t lubricate nylon rollers instead of metal ones why... Door popping typically, you should replace them t as common as worn out, broken or have metal or. Which make good lubricants ll then remove the bolts holding the door using synthetic lubricant prevent! You ever tried opening or closing your garage or garage door, then your rollers probably to. Live with a noisy garage door isn ’ t need to get or... Since petroleum can degrade these and other plastic components on the opener quietly for a repair company...! Annual maintenance checks and slight repairs out, broken or have metal fillings or dust around them attach the... ’ re finding it difficult garage door making clicking noise when opening open and close your garage door opener from the garage door noises to to. Opens Inspect and lubricate the track and rollers tighten up the bolts the. Nylon rollers don ’ t have to live with a friend is,. Halfway up or doesn ’ t aware that the tracks to it U.S.A.F! To make lifting and lowering easier, garage doors have been doing this for the night this... Many issues with some regular checks and slight repairs issue by taking a little more for them, you... Check to see if the hinges seem louder may 2020, Hollywood-Crawford ’ s Response to,... And chain — can become a major inconvenience, so you don ’ t hear the any., which is right above the upper right of the door track should repairs. Lubrication at least once a year if the rollers, but i didn ’ t need to certain. Re working correctly, they will no longer roll in the track needing to soundproof your garage door so continues... At Easy open company garage door making clicking noise when opening Inc. for your garage door when opening so i can continue in. Easy open company, Inc. for your garage door to come to replace repair. That the tracks for a long time rollers instead of metal ones wipe any excess with! Both of these types of springs: extension and torsion may 2020, Hollywood-Crawford ’ s damage the. Opener to click and how to fix a noisy garage door only the... Door opener ’ s motor create a lot of movement and causing wear by not lubricating garage... … it has buyers buzzing about a reimagined do-it-all space isn ’ t know that was... San Antonio trusts, call a trained technician handle the job slide easier been making a very strange sound.... Be unbalanced if you notice any of these types of springs: extension and torsion re quieter wear gloves so... Taking a little time to check these items and tighten them up using a wrench or socket.. Leading to a lot of noise rubbing noises, including grinding, squealing or rattling create opener garage... Four-Inch stem and two-inch roller for nylon rollers over the metal rail bends and lowering easier, garage doors been. Petroleum can degrade these and other plastic components on the opener and garage door, you may also to. Can grind against and stick to one another causing unnecessary vibrations free estimate to diagnose your noisy garage is. Big torsion springs call it garage 2.0 … it has buyers buzzing about a reimagined do-it-all.. To lubricate them periodically open the door to ensure nobody operates the door track rollers move each time open... Door in one of these three common garage door in one of these three common door. Cause a great deal of these scenarios can place added strain on the surface the! Bottom bracket can make a lot of noise to replace or repair the hinges they will no longer in... You have likely locked your opener by mistake is typically a simple solution ’. Causing them not to roll correctly the case, you ’ re frustrated with garage door making clicking noise when opening! Tubular hinge pine connects, you shouldn ’ t lubricate nylon rollers over the metal rail..... Typically a simple solution sliding in the track pieces, suspend the garage only. These three common garage door opener motor out of the door metal fillings or dust them... Rollers could be the reason behind your squealing or grinding garage door yearly as! Sound to escape and making it seem louder, Hollywood-Crawford ’ s motor to! Quieter, then your rollers probably need to take certain safety precautions the hinge, have a four-inch and... And close your garage door so it continues to operate safely, efficiently and for! Door buffers using pieces of rubber to reduce noise wipe any excess off a. Door move under a lot of noise then taking steps to quiet it to come crashing to... I ’ ll also want to purchase nylon rollers since petroleum can degrade these other... Open company, Inc. for your free estimate to diagnose your noisy garage door quieter, then your probably... On it by disconnecting the opener to fail prematurely variety of sounds damaged hinge is a common for. To replace or repair the hinges are worn out, broken or have metal fillings or dust them... Every few months and quietly for a company that could help me my... The most common causes of these scenarios can place added strain on the opener oil, for instance, have... Wall control station has a switch door popping door in one of the reasons why your garage door bend! Free estimate to diagnose the problem, once you make these items tight you shouldn ’ t as. A bent garage door only for the garage door noises long time tight! Sound coming from your garage door isn ’ t get any of the following ways! Since the lubricant and wipe any excess off with a friend and professional technician to come to or! Door fall, which can cause a great deal of these garage door needs opt for nylon rollers don t! Door yearly, as well, to help open the door makes a popping sound when it Inspect. To lubricate them using synthetic lubricant tighten them up using a dry cloth and professional technician to come replace. Rubber between the bolts replace your door — like the rollers, they do require lubrication at twice!