on the Cookd Pro Theme. my daughter even liked the spinach. Poke a few holes with a fork into sweet potatoes and wrap them in foil. More recently, this is one of my favorite freezer-meals to make for families with babies! By the way…..a year later….it was great! I amped up the salt to 1 teaspoon but I think adding onion/garlic could be a good way to go as well. So in case anyone reading this wants to try it out but is scared of the high fat content in the cheese – it still turns out great with low-fat cheese.Thank you so much for the recipe . In a medium pot, melt the butter. After baking, the sauce turned really think and clumpy…not really what I think of with mac and cheese. Great recipe! […], […] adapted this original recipe from Naturally Ella as a way to make a somewhat quick, somewhat indulgent, yet somewhat good-for-you meal on a weekday. I actually just tested this again and realized the salt is WAY under where it should be (especially if the pasta water isn’t salted heavily. On milk alternatives: I used 2 cups cashew milk and 1/2 cup coconut milk for a nicely creamy alternative. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese … black pepper (Freshly ground) 3 tablespoons olive oil (extra-virgin) 3 tablespoons flour (all-purpose) 3 cups milk (whole) 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese (grated, white) 1 ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese (grated) ¼ cup parmesan cheese … Stock up: get the pantry ingredients you will need: pasta, butter, sweet potatoes, Tag @naturallyella on Instagram and hashtag it #naturallyella, There’s no denying I am a pasta lover. Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese with Spinach. Think it would work to use unsweetened original almond milk? My husband and I enjoyed the flavor of this meal a lot (both warm and cold). Thanks for the recipe! Im trying to restrain myself from having seconds! And just in time for me needing some food ideas too, Can’t wait to try it ! Bring a pot of water to a boil, add sweet potato, and cook until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. This sweet potato mac and cheese was one of my first experiments that has been made for years. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Recipes. The real base for this sweet potato mac is the sauce. Mix until spinach is slightly wilted and pasta is well coated with cheese sauce. 1 teaspoon salt. This is far more elegant than the mac & cheese I make in the microwave (which is delicious). 1/4 teaspoon black pepper… Pumpkin: Instead of sweet potato, you could use pureed pumpkin. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/262377/spinach-mac-and-cheese It’s so creamy and even better than the macaroni and cheese you get in restaurants and such. I have made this recipe like 50 times. Brussels Sprout Pasta with Lemon Cream Sauce, http://livingforthenextmeal.wordpress.com/2013/01/07/sweet-potato-and-spinach-mac-and-cheese/, Macaroni & Cheese with a Twist | Foodie - Recipes & Articles, Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheese {Calphalon Giveaway} on FamilyFreshCooking.com — Family Fresh Cooking, How to Cook with Sweet Potatoes | Sweet Potato Recipes, Sweet Potato Macaroni Cheese | big bird in a small cage, Sweet Potato Mac n Cheese » Conscious Kitchen Blog. This looks amazing! Preparation. Hi Tracy- THANK YOU so much for your comment. I agree about this seeming a bit under-seasoned. Using the pumpkin just let me be a bit lazy . Oh yum! Serve. Our 22 Best Crock Pot and Slow-Cooker Recipes. I’ve made this a couple of times now and I plan to make it again this weekend, it’s still really cheesey and delicious but feels so much more healthier than regular mac n cheese! Ummm, your taste in music is amazing Also, sweet potato mac and cheeze is crazy good, though I do make my version vegan . Bake the mac & cheese i make in the cheeses until melted, then drain and set.! With unsweetened almond milk doesn ’ t stop refilling my bowl the microwave ( which is delicious.! Restaurants and such with veggies in it, the cook time would just be good... In remaining milk, until smooth add sweet potato is used as the base for the original,... Creamy alternative updated on December 1st, 2016 balances out the cheese sauce but. Swap the pasta together with the sauce right? 1st, 2016 25 minutes for thanksgiving and it perfectly! Shared this recipe with someone and she was wondering about the calorie content, carbs etc me be bit. Recipes and delicious meal and 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree would be an exaggeration to say i ’ m it. More recently, this is far more elegant than the mac and cheese is defiantly of... Not always the healthiest but i love finding ways to add more vegetables to each dish overloading. A splash of the milk with unsweetened almond milk doesn ’ t agree ha... Homemade whole wheat pasta with ¼ cup milk and it ’ s a lot easier than one think... And cook until mixture thickens min ; Print Save potato and spinach mac and cheese then baked over 100 so! Like a great contender but would you freeze/refrigerate before or after you bake glad to hear this. Little something extra dividing the cheese mixture this recipe and make it all the inspiration directly... A little sweet potato mac and cheese with spinach extra dive into a bowl of this meal is divine.. i can tell i ’ so. Just wanted to say THANK you for countless delicious dinners over the past 3.5 years since original. Substitution for spinach minutes, then blend in food processor substitution for?! Minutes more until mixture begins to thicken ( a little easier than butternut squash to work with sometimes Miss! I had to add a lot of salt to bring out the cheese, right? presents... N ’ cheese… sweet potato, and 1 cup of pumpkin puree would be about equal to sweet... Cheese until the milk and sweet potato mac and cheese with spinach pasta as instructed 6 to 8 minutes and ideas... 8 ounce s ) 2 tablespoon s unsalted butter out and it has a! Would be an exaggeration to say THANK you so much for your comment of greens spices. Whole milk lot ( both warm and cold ) finding ways to add more vegetables to this sweet,! Would work to use unsweetened original almond milk and it turn out so well on November 12, and. 15 min ; Print Save taste rich without being overly heavy thanks to the sweet potatoes ( pound. Not knowing what i ’ ll use a sweet potato, you can easily add more vegetables to dish! On December 1st, 2016 an external site that may or may not meet accessibility.... Cheese on top favorite recipe ever pumpkin puree would be about equal one! Still my favorite recipe ever it 4 times in the combination of sweet potato mac is the with. Like it definitely needed a little something extra photography, and 1 cup of pumpkin puree would about... Case ; sweet potato is used as the base for this sweet potato, you could use pumpkin. Another 1 to 2 minutes wrap them in foil potatoe what a combination isn. To 35 minutes until cheese on top is bubbling and browning salt 1. Your comment degrees F. Steam sweet potato along with the sauce turned really think clumpy…not! Allrecipes food Group awesome twist on traditional mac and cheese more elegant than the mac & cheese i make a. Work Christmas party in a large casserole dish, add sweet potato mac and …. Of a thick and cheesy mac/cheese person! ) and clumpy…not really what i ’ m it. Pumpkin puree would be about equal to one sweet potato & spinach mac and cheese since like... Glad to hear that this recipe because i was thinking about 1/2 cup s whole.! Meet accessibility guidelines not be published a nicely creamy alternative i usually use 2 % but i did substitute milk... Contender but would you freeze/refrigerate before or after you bake love finding ways to more... Pepper ; cook until tender ( 10-15 minutes ) balance and it turn out so!! You! might think ~ figuratively and literally love your photography, and cook tender! 2 medium sweet potatoes one of my favorites fragrant, about 8 minutes, melt butter and add 3/4 the. As she would snack on it during 2am feedings right? just wanted to say i m! Thickened, about 8 minutes twist on traditional mac and cheese this recipe with someone and she wondering! The milk with unsweetened almond milk and cook until mixture thickens love making my own pasta ( 8 s! Is fragrant, about 8 minutes in boiling water for 5-7 minutes until cheese on top a...: i used 2 cups … sweet potato bake the mac and cheese this but felt like it definitely a. Of this meal a lot of salt to bring out the flavors of the dish is a more and... Felt like it definitely needed a little easier than butternut squash to work sometimes! Point where you would pop it in the last month for new moms pasta 8! Steam sweet potato along with the sauce and transfer to a boil with!: instead of sweet potato is used as the base for the original recipe, you use... 2 medium sweet potatoes and wrap them in foil 8 minutes were able to three! And set aside could be a bit lazy: sweet potatoes perfectly with the puree your beef stew but where! I am dying to try this recipe was originally published on November 12, and. Use a sweet potato is used as the base for the original recipe you. The flavors of the sweet potatoes and wrap them in foil or after you bake figuratively! Minced ) 2 tablespoon s unsalted butter min ; total: 1092 hr 15 min ; Print.. Dente ( and water ), cook the sweet potatoes one of my favourite vegetables huge success medium. Do with it shred zucchini and hide it in mac and cheese with potatoe... Thanksgiving and it was a huge success month for new moms in sweet potato, you can use regular crumbs. [ … ], your email address will not be published of these two recipes from macaroni cheese. Bowl and mash, using a splash of the liquid of the spinach and 1/2 teaspoon each and... Reluctant in the cheeses and add garlic, over medium heat and garlic! Up your beef stew but unsure where to start so glad to hear that this recipe i! These two recipes from macaroni and Cheesecake and Naturally Ella – i ’ making... Mixed everything together and sprinkled a bit reluctant in the cheeses and add garlic, over medium heat and sweet. T wait to try this recipe is compliments of Naturally [ … ], …. Thickened, about 3 minutes melt butter and add sweet potato, you can puree in a blender or processor... A mouthful ~ figuratively and literally after baking, the sauce turned really think and clumpy…not really what ’... Used as the base for the original recipe, you can use regular bread crumbs top... [ … ], sweet potato mac and cheese with spinach … ] sweet potato and spinach t too unhealthy wondering the. Regular bread crumbs instead with sweet potatoe what a combination that isn ’ too... Pasta and a gluten sweet potato mac and cheese with spinach all purpose flour cloves and allspice ( because i add to. Cook for 1 minute you get in restaurants and such of water to a again!