Make this traditional Mexican hot chocolate using a few ingredients and following a few simple steps. Cloudy days filled with endless snow make it so hard to get outside to get some fresh air. Frothy. Mexican hot chocolate is often grainer than our powdery American hot chocolate, as spices, such as cinnamon, are combined throughout. Pour the hot chocolate into mugs and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Let’s just say it’s sunny basically all year round here. Yet nowadays folks generally use sweet chocolate bars as a base, which are made from coarsely ground chocolate with a dose of cinnamon and sugar, and … Place milk and chocolate tablet in a large pot and bring to a boil. Make delicious Mexican hot chocolate using a few ingredients and simple steps. Ingredients + gadgets. Mix with a wooden spoon until the chocolate tablet dissolves. Traditional Mexican Hot Chocolate. Table chocolate is made in big batches and formed into disc-like tablets that can be stored … Use 4 cups of Milk for every chocolate tablet. Every time my family or I go to Mexico, we come back with some pottery to add to the collection. Stir the mixture until the chocolate is melted and the desired temperature has been reached. Meet Ashley →. I don’t know about you, but I usually get a bit of seasonal depression at this time of year. Milk. Use 4 cups of Milk for every chocolate tablet. Who’s ready to get back to reality now that the holidays are over? Hot chocolate in Mexico always begins with Chocolate de Mesa or Mexican table chocolate. These tablets contain cacao paste, of course, but also sugar and cinnamon. This Mexican hot chocolate is made with real milk, 100% unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, chili powder, and a little bittersweet chocolate to make the whole thing a bit creamier and smoother. Add toppings before serving! I also added a pinch of cayenne pepper to give it a little spicy end note, but that’s totally optional. Stir the hot chocolate mixture until the chocolate is melted and the mixture has reached the desired temperature. Be sure to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, too! This type of chocolate is available in most grocery stores. This type of chocolate is available in most grocery stores. Whereas, traditional American hot chocolate is usually made with a combination of cocoa powder and/or chocolate, and tends to be more on the sweet side… I know it may be tempting, but do not substitute milk chocolate in this recipe. The cold months of January and February always seem to drag on forever. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. I invite you to give it a try next time you are … It is traditional to serve Mexican hot chocolate with a sweet bread or roll. The cinnamon, chili powder, and dark chocolate give this hot chocolate a nice spicy feel that your tastebuds are sure to love! Thanks for supporting Wanderzest! But, staying cooped up indoors every day can really get to you after a while. I'm a 20-something foodie with a huge passion for cooking and travel. Always marshmallows. Let’s just say Jacob and I enjoyed the much-needed break so much that we both had a case of the post-holiday blues. This post may contain affiliate links, which provide me with a small commission at no extra cost to you. We’ve been enjoying lovely 40F degree weather for the past little while. It will overpower the hot chocolate and make it too sweet, not what we're looking to achieve. In Mexico, hot chocolate is most often prepared with tablets of rustic chocolate de mesa, “table chocolate,” which can be easily found in the U.S. at Mexican grocery stores and even large supermarkets. It’s so yummy to us, but kids accustomed to very sweet hot chocolate might not like it as much. In Mexico it also pairs well with tamales and in Colombia they add a piece of soft cheese. It comes in hard tablets that dissolve when boiled in milk. Once, the chocolate tablet dissolves, insert the molinillo or hand blender to create a froth. Whereas, traditional American hot chocolate is usually made with a combination of cocoa powder and/or chocolate, and tends to be more on the sweet side. https://asideofsweet.com/authentic-mexican-hot-chocolate-recipe To combat this, Jacob and I always try to make an effort to get outside as much as we can during the winter. If you would like to get your hand on some of these I would recommend visiting a Mexican market; you might get lucky and find a good selection there. Makes 4 cups. Thankfully a reader from Mexico explained to me that unlike other hot chocolate “drinks” in the Mexican repertoire, it traditionally was a mixture of cocoa beans and sweetener. This recipe is so easy to whip up and it uses normal, everyday ingredients (none of those strange ingredients that come in the store-bought hot cocoa mixes) that you probably already have in hand. Make this traditional Mexican hot chocolate using a few ingredients and following a few simple steps. I was a little perplexed as to what constitutes authentic Mexican Hot Chocolate. Make this traditional Mexican hot chocolate using a few ingredients and following a few simple steps. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the hot chocolate ingredients. I decided to make us cups of delicious Mexican Hot Chocolate.Warm, cozy, chocolate-y heaven that fills you up with this comforting feeling that washes all the tiredness away. But I guess you have to get back to real-life eventually! Don't skip this part, the molinillo or hand mixer remove all the graininess and make the drink super smooth. Milk. Three words that say it all. You can buy Mexican hot chocolate mixes online or you can buy cacao beans and make your own. If you make this recipe, let me know what you think! I am…and I’m not. Milk. But here are a few more, because we can’t resist. Use 4 cups of Milk for every chocolate tablet. I want to see your cool adventures! Some of my favorite things include spending time outdoors, eating gelato and enjoying hot summer days. It's known for its creamy and frothy texture, which comes from the use of a traditional 'molinillo' (wooden whisk). Ingredients + gadgets. Mexican chocolate. Chocolate. The two most common brands are Ibarra (made by a company in Jalisco, Mexico) and Abuelita (a Nestle product). I can't wait for you to join me on my adventures! Tag @wanderzestblog or #wanderzestblog on Instagram and Twitter. And by the time February hits it will be a nice 60F degrees! I’d love it if you could add a star rating ★ and a comment below. This will overpower the hot chocolate and make it too sweet, which is not what we’re looking to achieve. Yesterday, I got home and saw these really good chocolate bars that I had left over from the Petit Gateau I made for Valentine’s Day. The clay pot and clay mug you see here add a lot of flavor and authenticity to this drink. I just happen to prefer the whole version for this recipe) 1 large cinnamon stick; 1 1/2 … I am a HUGE food and travel enthusiast. And of course, marshmallows. HOT & FROTHY Ultra rich. Mexican chocolate. For example, we LOVE going snowboarding and finding nice places to walk/hike. Affiliate Disclosure - GDPR Privacy Policy - Privacy Policy - Terms and Conditions. It comes in hard tablets that dissolve when boiled in milk. Mexican hot chocolate differs from the traditional hot cocoa because of the spices infused, giving it a sophisticated, spicy kick. https://blog.xcaret.com/en/traditional-mexican-hot-chocolate-recipe 4 cups of whole milk (you can use low-fat milk as well. It's … The tablets already contain sugar, so you don’t need to add more. They are surprisingly strong to travel with, so I keep buying more. Chocolate has always been most closely associated in Mexico with the traditional hot beverage, rather than the candy. Mexican hot chocolate contains spices like cinnamon and chili as well as chopped bittersweet chocolate to create a very rich, but less sweet flavor. When the chocolate starts to dissolve gently move it with the molinillo until it fully dissolves, about … A rich, creamy, and slightly spicy traditional Mexican Hot Chocolate. Something went wrong: Error validating access token: Sessions for the user are not allowed because the user is not a confirmed user. This set includes traditional tools and high quality ingredients for making Mexican hot chocolate at home. After one sip of this hot chocolate, you'll never want to drink store-bought hot cocoa ever again! Chocolate as a candy exists there, of course, but commercial Mexican chocolate candy-making is just now reaching the sophistication or heights of quality of the world's premier chocolatiers , mainly because the products cover different cultural needs. You are supposed to dip the bread into the drink. The recipe included in this post is for a small batch, however, in my family, we make this drink around the holidays, so make adjustments as needed. The tablets already contain sugar, so you don’t need to add more.